Beet Soup is one of the many flavors of my childhood.
I loved Beet Soup as a child and now I am so thankful MY kids like it!
This Polish Beet Soup is loaded with beets, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, dill, leeks and… rib meat!
Everything aww so good for you!
Seriously! Having a bowl of Beet Soup is like having a bowl of health!
Do not confuse this Polish Beet Soup with Red Borscht!
Yes, Red Borscht is also made with beets. However, Red Borscht is not served with meat, cream and all the vegetables in it (unless it is Ukrainian Borscht).
Beet Soup can be made without any meat, but I like it with rib meat. It’s also yummy with kiełbasa or sausage.
Here is what I use when I make my Polish Beet Soup with Rib Meat:
I start off with cooking the rib meat and at the same time preparing the brothy base for the soup.
In the meatime, I prep all the needed veggies: I shred carrots and a parsnip, slice the white part of a leek and cube potatoes.
I add the veggies to the broth with rib meat after about 30 minutes of cooking and the ribs are soft.
Notice, that I did not add beets along with all the vegetables. Why? Because I need the veggies to be cooked before adding beets.
Once I add the shredded beets to the soup, I do not bring the soup to a boil!
Beets brought to a boiling point will loose their color and flavor! The soup will look like dish water and the taste… let’s just say nobody will eat the soup!
Shredded beets don’t need much to be cooked and they will cook while simmering away and retain beautiful deep red color.
I finish my Beet Soup with salt, lemon pepper, vinegar, fresh pressed garlic, dill and cream. To taste.
I usually don’t shred or cube the rib meat because it breaks up to smaller pieces during cooking. I simply serve the Beets Soup with some meat in it.
My husband loves this Beet Soup, my kids love it too, and I am just so happy they do.
Beet Soup is SO good for you!
Beets boost the immune system and slow down aging process. They are good for heartburn, lower blood pressure and boost energy! And, of course it’s naturally gluten-free!
So, how about a bowl of hot Polish Beet Soup, preferably with Rib Meat? Hmm?
You don’t have to ask ME twice!…
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 8 cups (about 2 liters) filtered water
- 1 lb rib meat
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 allspice corns
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 parsnip, peeled and shredded
- 1 leek (only the white part), sliced thin
- 3-4 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2-3 beets, peeled and shredded or cut up to FF
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- In a large soup pot, gather water, rib meat, bay leaves and all spice corns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Add shredded parsnip, carrots, sliced leeks and diced potatoes. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add beets, reduce heat to low and SIMMER for 15 minutes. At this point, the soup CANNOT be brought to a boiling point, as it will cause the beets to loose its color and flavor!
- Add apple cider vinegar, salt, lemon pepper, pressed garlic, dill and at the very end, cream. Again, do NOT bring the soup to a boil!
- Serve hot!