I looove soups!
I grew up on soups, and can make soup out of almost anything.
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Spinach is not my personal favorite, but the fact that my friends and kids love it convinced me that perhaps I should share it…
So, there you have it! Pin it, print it, share it or save it and give this Lentil Soup with Sausage and Spinach a try the next time you feel like having some comforting soup.
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to make any soup, but this Lentil Soup with Sausage and Spinach is really crazy easy.
Just look at those ingredients. There is nothing you have to be especially careful with.
Now… the sausage… I know, some people don’t like to touch the sausage casing….
I am not even going to go there!… 🙂
If you are one of those people, don’t even try it. DO yourself a favor and buy sausage in bulk! There. Done! Move on and sauté it!
Next in line – chop and drop. Onions, garlic and carrots that is.
The rest is a breeze. Just throw everything else in (except spinach) and cook it until soft.
Finish up with some fresh, bright, green spinach, season and DONE!
How difficult was that???
Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top would be nice…
Yes! Why not?
If you don’t live the gluten-free lifestyle, a slice of toasted, artisan bread would be nice. But don’t just stick it in the toaster. Brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toast it the oven. When nice and golden brown, take it out, cut a clove of garlic in half and rub on the toast!
YUM! I am so jealous. I haven’t had real bread in years! 🙁
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 5 sausage links
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 can (4 oz) tomato paste
- 10 cups water
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 lb green lentils, rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz bag fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Remove sausage casings and brown sausage meat in olive oil, breaking it up to small pieces (or use potato masher).
- Spoon browned sausage onto paper toweled plate.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the remaining oil.
- Add wine and let it cook out for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and whisk it in.
- Add water, lentils and carrots. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Season with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and thyme.
- Add spinach and let it wilt in.
- Serve hot with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top and toasted garlic bread on the side.