School is back in session! 🙁
With that, there came the stress of getting up early, making lunches and nutritious breakfast.
My kids get quickly tired of eggs. They are not big on cereal or pancakes. My son loves Pumpkin Oatmeal; my daughter doesn’t even want to try it! 🙁
We run late sometimes and the kids don’t have the time or desire to eat. And that is when my Homemade Baked Granola Bars come to the rescue!
These bars are packed with protein and fiber that my kids need to go through the day or… at least until lunch! 🙂
I don’t feel guilty giving my kids these Baked Granola Bars for breakfast because, quite frankly, they are a better option than sugary cereal! They are sweetened with natural honey and “glued” with egg whites to provide protein!
These Baked Granola Bars are so very easy to make!
First, you need to toast some oats and sunflower seeds!
Second, you need to whisk 4 egg whites until foamy, and whisk in honey. I do that in a LARGE mixing bowl.
Third, add toasted oats and sunflower seeds, chopped almonds and other fixings and mix well, until everything is coated with egg whites and honey.
Fourth, transfer the mixture into a baking pan, press down and bake for 25 minutes or until browned on the edges.
Last, cool off and…
… cut into pieces!
That is all!
Or, you can take a step further and dip each piece in melted chocolate!
With or without chocolate, that is a week worth of delicious and satisfying bites, whether it’s for breakfast, snack or dessert!
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread oats and sunflower seeds on baking sheet and place it in a preheated oven for 20 minutes to toast.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, slightly beat egg whites and mix in honey.
- Transfer cooled toasted oats and sunflower seeds into the egg white mixture.
- Add chopped almonds, coconut flakes, protein powder, cranberries, salt and vanilla.
- Mix in well.
- Transfer into a 7x11 baking pan, lined with aluminum foil.
- Spread in an even layer and press down.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Remove by picking up the foil and cool off on a cooling rack.
- Cut up into pieces.
- Optional: dip granola bar pieces in melted chocolate and/or drizzle some on top.