Cloud Bread is a low carb alternative to traditional bread and has been well loved within the gluten-free community for a while.
If you are not familiar with Cloud Bread, it is a baked mixture of whipped eggs and cream cheese.
I have never been a fan of Cloud Bread. I had made it several times, but never really enjoyed it until… instead of cream cheese, I used Gouda cheese!
The Gouda cheese gives it a completely different flavor and texture. Unlike cream cheese based cloud bread, it doesn’t puff up, which is perfect for making a roll. Yes, a roll! Just like a jelly roll or a Pumpkin Roll! Only this one is not DESSERT!
GOUDA Cloud Bread Roll with Chicken and Spinach is awesome as an appetizer or makes a great dinner, served with Risotto and asparagus.
Here is how you make GOUDA Cloud Bread Roll with Chicken and Spinach:
- Make and bake the cloud bread itself.
- Prepare and season thin slices of chicken breast.
- Sauté an onion with garlic and spinach.
- Assemble as pictured below, roll it up and bake!
Here is how it looks straight out of the oven:
Doesn’t that look YUMMY?
Oh, you don’t even know! It is beyond any expectations!
The good thing is – you don’t have to wait to cut it!…
The Gouda cheese Cloud Bread is very forgiving and it stays together when you cut in, while it’s HOT!
I am not kidding! These pictures were taken while the roll was still hot!
As much as like to serve it as dinner, I find it real special served as an appetizer! A glass of wine and a slice of this amazing GOUDA Cloud Bread Roll with Chicken and Spinach takes you on an unforgettable culinary trip!
And, no! It is NOT difficult to make it! As a matter of fact, it’s a piece of cake! Only it doesn’t taste like one! 🙂
Give it a try and I promise, you won’t be disappointed!
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 330 grams Gouda cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp Greek Yogurt (or mayonnaise)
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 oz fresh spinach
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced to thin cutlets, pounded thin and seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder and sweet paprika
- 1/3 cup dried tomatoes, sliced or diced
- Preheat oven to 320F.
- Line a 10x14 cookie pan with parchment paper.
- Sauté chopped onions with garlic in butter. When translucent, add spinach and sauté until wilted. Let it cool off.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with yogurt (by hand with a whisk or fork). Add Gouda cheese and mix in well.
- Transfer Gouda cheese mixture to a prepared pan and spread evenly to a thin layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 320F, or until firm.
- While the Gouda Cloud Bread is in the oven, slice chicken to thin cutlets, then pound it with a meat mallet even thiner; season with salt, pepper, chili powder and sweet paprika.
- When Cloud Bread is done, take it out of oven, let it cool off slightly, just enough to be able to handle it (it needs to be still warm and pliable).
- Arrange prepared chicken on top of the Cloud Bread, so every inch of the Cloud Bread is covered.
- Spread spinach mixture on top of chicken (I had enough to cover only half, which was fine).
- Top spinach mixture with dried tomatoes.
- Roll it up tightly.
- Bake on the same parchment paper lined pan for 40 minutes at 320F.
- Serve hot as an appetizer, or as dinner (for example with Risotto and asparagus).