I came across a video on Facebook how to make an Angel Cake Roll with berries. I thought I can easily make it gluten-free by making a few tweaks to my Almond Flour Gluten Free Cake. I did, and shortly after Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL made with Almond Flour was born. I surprised my husband with this Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL for his birthday. He said it was THE BEST birthday cake he’s ever had! And, he did not mind the not so traditional shape of his birthday cake! 🙂
If you’ve ever made a Pumpkin Roll, you’ll know exactly what to do with this Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL!
Actually, the Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL is even easier than a Pumpkin Roll because the cake part for the Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL is made with almond flour and therefore more pliable, which makes it easier to roll.
The filling is delicious! It’s made with cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. The cream cheese makes the filling rich and the cream makes it creamy and silky. The consistency of the filling is much thiner than the filling for a Pumpkin Roll, therefore easier to spread.
You would think that it’s pretty difficult to roll the Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL with all the berries inside…
No, not at all.
The only difficult part is transferring it onto a plate.
I helped myself by inserting the plate under the end of the cake, right before I was almost finished rolling. This way the seam was on the bottom, under the weight of the cake which ensured a tight seal.
You can treat this Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL like a Pumpkin Roll and once it’s rolled, just leave it at that.
But, why not smother it with the creamy filling all over the top of the roll and then decorate it with berries…
It looks good and it tastes even better!
I mean, seriously!
How can you say NO that? Even if you don’t know how it tastes like….
Oh, one more thing!
This Gluten Free Very Berry ANGEL CAKE ROLL is ALMOST good for you since it’s made with almond flour!
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 12 egg whites
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup almond flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray and line a 15x10 shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites in a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar.
- Gently fold sifted almond flour mixed with baking powder.
- Transfer mixture onto a prepared baking sheet, spread and smooth.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350F.
- Take out of oven and cool of for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, spread a kitchen towel on the counter and sift a layer of powdered sugar over it (about 1/4 cup).
- Flip the cake over onto the sugared towel.
- Peel off parchment paper.
- Place short edge of towel over edge of cake and roll it up (with the towel).
- Place rolled cake/towel in the fridge.
- While cake is cooling, mix filling ingredients together until smooth, starting with cream cheese, then add sugar, then mix in heavy whipping cream and vanilla.
- Gently unroll toweled cake.
- Spread 3/4 of the filling over cake, top it with berries (reserving some for the outside) and roll it back up, this time without the towel.
- Gently transfer cake onto an elongated plate.
- Top the roll with remaining filling and berries