What have you been craving this Fall?
I craved Gluten-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. Among other things… 🙂
My husband and kids did not realize they did until…
This Momma Bear made some Gluten-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and everyone thanked her! 🙂
These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are like a lazy version of Pumpkin Roll.
They look different, totally different, but taste the same!
The batter is made exactly the same way and the cream cheese filling as well!
I noticed the batter can have a different consistency, depending on what type of gluten-free flour I used.
When I combined almond flour, white rice flour, tapioca, potato starch and corn starch, the batter was thicker and created much thicker pie disks than batter made with my Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend.
Either way, it was TASTY!
I used 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to make the pie discs. Smaller size perhaps would be better for portion control… 😆
I made sure the pie discs were COMPLETELY cool before I applied the cream cheese filling.
These are BIIIIG Gluten-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!
The recipe made only 6 of them since I used the bigger, ¼ cup ice cream scoop!
Can you see the difference in thickness?
↑Top picture: the batter was made with ¼ cup almond flour, ¼ cup white rice flour, 1½ Tbsp tapioca, 1½ Tbsp potato starch and 1 tsp corn starch.
↓The Bottom picture: the batter was made with my Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend.
Like I said earlier, either way, thick or thin, these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are very, very yummy!
My kids adore them!
My daughter stored one away for a school lunch! 🙂
Yes, I know! Not the best lunch option. But, once in a while it won’t hurt her and hopefully it will be a nice memory…
Life is short. It’s the little things, the good things, that we choose to remember: the smell, the taste, the warmth, the feel.
Happy Fall, Y’all!
And, As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour (recipe below)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp ground cloves)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 8 oz cream cheese; softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter; softened
- 1½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 15x10 cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk all dry ingredients by hand.
- In Kitchen Aid's mixing bowl, whip eggs with sugar, then add pumpkin.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
- Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, scoop out batter onto prepared cookie sheet and arrange scoops 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Take pies out of oven. Cool down for a minute, then transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Make cream cheese filling.
- Pipe some filling onto one pie disk and cover with another.
- Cool and serve.
- You may consider dusting whoopie pies with confectioner's sugar.