I am gluten intolerant. I can’t go to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and order my coffee with a muffin, or any other sweet treat. I’ve made peace with it. Occasionally however, I crave a good piece of cake, a cookie or a muffin. If that craving is strong enough, I have to make it myself:(
Gluten-Free baking is very finicky, therefore every success in the baking department is like a Christmas morning.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Nut Muffins are definitely one of my successes. They are very moist with a perfect amount of sugar, filled with cranberries and walnuts! Happiness in one bite!
I based my batter on softened butter, cream cheese and eggs. I used Pamela’s gluten-free flour and hydrated it with milk. I suppose, frozen cranberries will work, but I used FRESH cranberries for best results.
The batter was dense, yet silky and fluffy. You can’t see any nuts in the batter and it’s because my son is allergic to nuts, but loves these cranberry muffin. Every time I make them, I have to make half without walnuts and then add walnuts to the other half and bake it in a separate cupcake tin.
I use 1/4 cup ice scream scoop to scoop out the batter. It makes my life so much easier and it’s fun too, so my daughter helps me out sometimes!:)
Instead of a muffin tin, I use two 12-ct cupcake pans. The 1/4 cup ice cream scoop makes a perfect portion for the cupcake openings and I just like having a smaller muffin instead of a big one.
The Gluten-Free Cranberry Nut Muffins don’t raise much, but bake beautifully.
The batch makes 24 perfect little cupcake-like muffins.
Sometimes, I like to glaze my Gluten-Free Cranberry Nut Muffins.
Sometimes, I like to glaze them and add a touch of lemon zest on top.
I keep them under a glass dome on my kitchen counter. My family loves to have them handy.
I am always glad to share my Gluten-Free Cranberry Nut Muffins with my neighbors, since we can’t have 24 muffins all by ourselves. Well, I guess we could, but that would be just greedy…
The cranberries burst, inside and out. The inside of the muffins are nice and moist and the outside is nicely browned.
These Gluten-Free Cranberry Nut Muffins are SO good! I can’t simply get enough of them. I must have made them at least 3 times over the holidays! I am afraid that I won’t be able to easily find fresh cranberries now, that the holidays are over…:(
I invite you to try these little gems. If you CAN find fresh cranberries that is!:)
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ block (4oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup Gluten-Free flour (I used Pamela's Gluten-Free Flour)
- 3/4 tsp non-fat milk POWDER (I used Carnations)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 2 (12-ct) cupcake forms with cooking spray.
- In Kitchen Aid mixer, mix butter with cream cheese.
- Add sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in milk and vanilla.
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a separate bowl by hand.
- Add to wet ingredients, one spoonful at a time. Scrape and re-mix.
- Add cranberries and walnuts, mix in well.
- Scoop out batter with ¼ cup ice cream scoop onto prepared cupcake forms.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins are golden and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool muffins on wire rack.
- Mix confectioner's sugar with lemon juice in a little bowl and drizzle over tops of muffins.