Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries is a spin off of my heavenly Almond Flour Yellow Cake with Strawberries.
I didn’t have to work much on developing this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries recipe.
I simply added some cocoa to the batter as well as some vanilla yogurt.
I tried making the yellow cake with yogurt as well, but it did not work well. It made the yellow cake almost too moist.
As much as it didn’t work in the yellow cake, the yogurt worked like a charm in the chocolate cake, perfectly balancing out the dry cocoa.
Both, Gluten Free Yellow Cake with strawberries as well as Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries are very easy to make!
Here is what you need for the Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries:
I separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
I whip up the egg whites until soft peaks form and add sugar.
Then, I add egg yolks and yogurt.
I gently fold almond flour sifted with cocoa and baking powder and that is it!
The cake batter is done and needs to be poured in a baking pan:
I arrange, or randomly scatter (depending on my mood at that very moment) strawberries over top:
I top it all off with sliced almonds to add some crunch and to make it even more tasty and interesting:
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries is a very delicate cake and does not have to be baked for a long time! 35 to 40 minutes is enough!
It is very tempting to cut a piece off while the cake is still warm! Especially if you want to have a glass of cold milk with it! 🙂
However, powdered sugar is not recommended to go over top while the cake is still warm!
You DON’T want to make the almonds wet!
I sift powdered sugar over top of the Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries when the cake is completely cold!
The powdered sugar looks pretty, it adds some sweetness to the not so sweet cake itself and of course, it goes heavenly with the strawberries!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries goes beautiful with a cup of coffee or tea. It’s perfect for a Sunday brunch or a special afternoon tea with a friend.
Also, it makes everybody happy, not only Gluten Free freaks, like me! 🙂
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup almond flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 large strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar.
- Mix in sugar when soft peaks start to form.
- Add egg yolks and yogurt.
- Mix in flour sifted with cocoa and baking powder.
- Transfer cake batter into an earlier prepared baking pan.
- Arrange strawberries on top of cake batter.
- Top with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350ºF or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake, comes out clean.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes in the pan, then pick up the sides of parchment paper and transfer cake onto a cooling rack.