What’s better on a cold winter night than soup?
Ok. Maybe a warm blanket and a roaring fire…
But aside from a warm house, there is nothing better than soup on a cold night.
I also like my Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup that I have been making for a long time, but somehow it has never made to my blog.
So, the time has finally come to share my Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
I make it with ROASTED broccoli and WITHOUT any FLOUR!
Here is what you need to make a pot of Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
The parsnip and the turnip may be a little surprising to some, but I assure you they add a lot of flavor and body to the soup.
First up, you need to roast the broccoli with some olive oil, salt and pepper:
While the broccoli is in the oven, melt butter in a soup pot (I use Dutch oven) and sauté onion and garlic until golden:
While that is happening, shred your carrot, parsnip and turnip and then, add it to your golden base:
By now, your broccoli should be done.
Go ahead and add your broccoli, but not all! Reserve some! Why? Later, we will be blending our soup. The reserved florets will be added to the blended soup for some added body.
Add your chicken stock as well!
Now, you need to be patient!
Bring the soup to a boil but then, turn the heat down to low, cover your pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
After that time, get your immersion blender out and have some fun!
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you need to transfer the soup to a regular blender and blend it that way. Be careful though, it’s hot!
I love using my immersion blender for soups. No mess or extra work. Easy peasy and fun!
We are almost there!
If you bought packaged, already shredded Cheddar cheese, that’s ok. However, I buy my Cheddar cheese in a block and shred it myself. I feel like somehow it’s more fresh. Plus, I don’t like that white coating that is used to prevent caking in packaged shredded cheese…
Go ahead and add the shredded cheese to your pot!
Add the remaining broccoli as well.
Now, all you have to do is add half and half:
Season your Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup well with grated nutmeg, freshly grated pepper, garlic salt and possibly cayenne pepper:
And there you have it – Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
See? It’s thick enough without ANY flour!
Hope, you’ll like it as much as my family and I do!
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 6 cups broccoli florets, washed, seasoned with salt and pepper and mixed with 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced finely
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 parsnip, peeled and shredded
- 1 small turnip, peeled and shredded
- 6 cups chicken stock (or 6 cups of water mixed in with 2 tbsp chicken bouillon)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 8 oz sharp Cheddar cheese in block, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 whole nutmeg, grated
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste (doesn't make soup spicy and serves to enhance flavor)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place washed and seasoned broccoli florets on baking pan and roast for about 15 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onion with garlic until golden.
- Add shredded carrot, parsnip, turnip and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of roasted broccoli and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Blend soup with immersion blender until smooth.
- Add remaining roasted broccoli florets, then cheese (reserve some for garnish) and half and half.
- Grate some nutmeg in, add garlic salt, pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) and mix in.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot, garnished with extra Cheddar cheese or bacon bits.