Creamy Rice & Chicken Soup may not be the most appealing to your eye. I promise you though, it is delicious! Just imagine pieces of soft chicken, cooked carrots and rice, all in creamy goodness.
Did you get the picture?
Good, because that’s what it is! I guarantee it will become one of your favorites once you try it. Your kids will love it too! I don’t know any kid that doesn’t like rice and chicken. And this soup offers those two with a bonus: creamy texture that all kids love.
Creamy Rice & Chicken Soup has been my son’s favorite soup ever since he was a toddler. I remember, when he was asked in pre-school what his favorite food was. His little friends were all for hot-dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries, and my little boy said: “Creamy Rice & Chicken Soup is my favorite.”
The teacher was so intrigued with his answer that she asked me for the recipe!
There was one problem!
I did not have a recipe. Before I started blogging, I never followed a recipe. I am one of those crazy cooks that opens a fridge to see what’s in there, and then puts a meal together based on what’s available.
My husband always jokes about me saying: “Give her a box of mac and cheese and she gets lost; Give her a bag of potatoes and a hunk of meat, and she will whip up a meal in no time!”
Yup, that’s me! 🙂
I have made this soup with rotisserie chicken, baked chicken thighs, pan-fried chicken breast, leftover roasted chicken…
The only kind of chicken that does NOT work in this soup, is grilled chicken!
Creamy Rice & Chicken Soup is actually a spin off of Cream of Turkey Soup that was served at the restaurant I used to work for while in College. I always make Cream of Turkey Soup with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, but year round, I find Creamy Rice & Chicken Soup more accessible.
Be resourceful and open minded!
Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 allspice corns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 4 celery stalks (preferably the middle parts), diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 half and half
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp celery or seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Clean and pat dry a whole chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour at 375F.
- Fill stock pot with water half way. Add allspice corns and bay leaves and bring to boil.
- Take chicken out of oven and put in boiling water. Cook on medium heat for 15 min to make a quick stock.
- Remove chicken to cool off.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic until golden.
- Add celery and carrots.
- Strain cooked chicken stock in to the pot and cook for 10 minutes on low.
- Meanwhile, butcher the chicken (remove skin) and dice gathered meat.
- Add diced chicken along with rice to soup.
- Cook covered on low until rice is soft (about 15 minutes). Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add cream mixed with corn starch.
- Add parsley and season.
- Serve immediately.
- To speed up the process, you can use rotisserie chicken (or whatever cooked chicken you have on hand) and canned chicken broth.
- Rice expands in liquid, therefore this soup is to be served immediately. If it gets too thick, you can thin it out with extra chicken broth or milk.