One of my friends on social media said: “Days in between holidays are for soups.” I read that and smiled, because for me any day is good for soup! Today is Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup day!
I make 2 types of Tomato Soup: Polish and American.
The Polish style soup is made with pasta, kielbasa and dill. ( Yes, I know, I need to make a post).
The American version will be covered in this post: Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup!
And I swear, I make a lot of soups, but this one CANNOT be easier to make!
I start with sautéing some onions and garlic.
Then I add CANNED tomatoes. (Speaking about easy, HUH???)
I bring that to a boil.
Then, I reduce the heat and add a WHOLE block of cream cheese (Yup, that’s a lot of cheese!) and basil.
I get my immersion blender out, stick it in the pot of soup and blend away. Well, actually my daughter gladly helps me out with that!… (I wonder why?…)
I don’t have a favorite brand of tomatoes I use. No, I don’t always buy San Marzano tomatoes. I buy whatever is on sale. Sometimes, the tomatoes are very acidic and this is when I reach for ketchup! Yes, ketchup for sweetness to offset the acidity. I usually have Polish style ketchup in my fridge. Polish ketchup is made with sugar and is sweeter that traditional Heinz.
If I don’t have ketchup, I add a teaspoon of sugar and it’s just as good.
I serve my Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup with some shredded Asiago cheese, if I have some on hand. I love the saltiness and nuttiness from the cheese in my tomato soup!
If I have my Homemade Gluten-Free Bread, of course, I make grilled cheese on it! I mean, this one is NO brainer! 🙂
My kids love Parmesan-Rosemary Bread from Costco and Asiago grilled cheese with this Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup!
My husband prefers his bread buttered, toasted, rubbed with garlic and then dunked in Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup!
How will you have your Cream Cheese Tomato-Basil Soup?
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion; peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves; peeled and chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes; diced or whole
- 1/2 cup fresh basil; chopped
- 8 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp sweet ketchup (optional) or 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Asiago cheese for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Add basil.
- Blend with an immersion blender (or place mixture to a counter style blender) until smooth.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- I like to serve my Tomato Soup with toasted GF bread rubbed with garlic: Place bread on baking sheet; lightly coat with olive oil and broil for 1 minute. Rub garlic clove over toasted side; turn bread over. Top with Asiago; broil 1 minute.