What do you do when you have leftover ham?
You make Black-Eyed Peas & Ham SOUP, or Split Pea Soup!
I loooove soups!
I grew up on soups and can make soup pretty much out of anything.
Black-Eyed Peas & Ham SOUP is up there with the above mentioned soups.
My inspiration for the soup was Hoppin’ John! If you are familiar with Hoppin’ John, you don’t need further invitation. If not, give it a try and see!
Black-Eyed Peas & Ham SOUP is a very easy and budget friendly soup.
If you like to cook, all the chopping and simmering is also very relaxing!
So, lets start off with chopping an onion and a jalapeño pepper. Have a Dutch oven ready on your stove with a little bit of olive oil.
Sauté the chopped onion and jalapeño pepper.
Next, chop some celery and a sweet pepper (any color will do), and add them to the happy mix.
To make this even more happy, we are going to hit it with some white wine! No measuring cup required! 🙂
More chopping ahead: carrots, potatoes and ham!
Rinse your Black Eyed Peas and drop all to your pot! Fill it up with water and simmer until all if soft.
The soup would not be what it needs to be without seasonings!
I use ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and lots of Cajun seasoning! Plus salt and pepper, of course!
A whole pot of Black-Eyed Peas & Ham SOUP!
Hope, you have an army to feed! If not, refrigerate leftovers! It comes handy when you need it on a gloomy day!
You can garnish your Black-Eyed Peas & Ham SOUP with some green onions, and serve it with bread.
My family loves the Rosemary Parmesan Bread from Costco! I am OK without it… 🙁
Hope, you love it!
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 sweet pepper (any color), chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chopped ham ( I used smoked)
- 4 cups chopped white potatoes
- 1 lb bag Black-Eyed peas, rinsed
- 10 cups of water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot (I used a Dutch oven).
- Add chopped jalapeño pepper and continue to sauté it.
- Add chopped celery, continue to sauté.
- Add chopped sweet pepper, continue to sauté.
- Add white wine and let it to evaporate.
- Add carrots, ham, potatoes, Black-Eyed peas and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Season with ketchup, Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot!
- My husband likes to add some white vinegar to his bowl of bean soup.