This 2 Cabbage Coleslaw is very similar to my previously posted Diner Style Coleslaw, but very different at the same time with its festive look.
I used mayonnaise and buttermilk for rich, creamy flavor, but also added some apple cider vinegar, a tart apple and some sugar to bring out and tie all the flavors together.
I have an old mandoline that I can only use for shredding the cabbage. It doesn’t have the grater attachment and I need to use my box grater to shred the carrots, apple and some onion. Somehow, it works!:)
A little trick I use in mixing all the flavors together: I mix all the shredded vegetables with only salt, pepper and sugar first, and then I add the wet ingredients.
By doing so, I am able to distribute all the colors and flavors throughout, without bunching up.
Looks very festive, doesn’t it?
Well, I have to tell you, it TASTES even better! Even my 6-year old loves this 2 Cabbage Coleslaw! D0 you know any kids that love coleslaw?
As Always, Eat Well, Spend Wisely!
- 1 small white cabbage (shredded on mandoline)
- 1/2 head red cabbage (shredded on mandoline)
- 2 carrots (shredded on thick side of box grater)
- 1/3 small red onion (shredded on thick side of box grater)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (peeled and shredded on thick side of box grater)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup real buttermilk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper (as little or as much as you like)
- Mix all shredded ingredients with sugar, salt, pepper (preferably by hand).
- Add mayonnaise, buttermilk and vinegar.
- Mix well and chill before serving.